Depression and Anxiety
- What are symptoms and types of Depression and Anxiety? How do I know when to get professional help?
- What services do you provide for someone dealing with Depression and Anxiety?
- Where can I get more information about Depression and Anxiety?
- How can I contact you to get further assistance?
What are symptoms and types of Depression and Anxiety? How do I know when to get professional help?
Feeling sad or blue for a brief time, grief because of the loss of a loved one or beloved pet, feeling down over a divorce or separation…these are common feelings to have when faced with difficult situations. Worry about illness, exams, stress about jobs, school or finances, fear when facing a situation that feels scary or reminds you of an experience that was upsetting…These too are usual feelings when faced with stressful situations. These scenarios and the responses are not major depression or anxiety disorders. Talking about your feelings with supportive friends and family combined with good self care usually result in a return to “feeling yourself” in time and being more resolved about these situations.
If you do not find that your feelings of anxiety or depression resolve or you feel uncomfortable talking about troubling issues with your usual support systems, reaching out for help from a licensed experienced therapist may be a good choice for you.
Symptoms of Depressive Disorders may include:
- depressed mood over time that effects ability to function
- poor appetite or overeating
- not sleeping or sleeping too much
- low self esteem
- difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- feelings of hopelessness
- suicidal thoughts, plans or actions
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders may include:
- constant worry and fear that something bad will happen
- restless or on edge
- difficulty concentrating
- increased muscle tension
- sleep disturbed
- difficulty functioning related to these symptoms
Depression and Anxiety Disorders include symptoms that are of more intensity and longer duration that negatively impair a person’s ability to function in her or his usual manner. When someone is experiencing Depression and Anxiety Disorders they need the assistance of a licensed therapist with the training and counseling experience to evaluate symptoms, assess and provide treatment which may include psychotherapy as well as a medication evaluation.
Most Common Forms of Depression include:
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Dysthymic Disorder
Among other less common forms of depression include Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Postpartum Depression and Bipolar Disorder.
Five Major Types of Anxiety Disorders include:
- Panic Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder)
- Specific Phobias
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
To learn more about forms of Depression and Anxiety Disorders, symptoms, assessment and treatment options, view and download this Brochure on Depression and Brochure on Anxiety Disorders from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). You can watch this four minute NIMH Video on Depression including signs, symptoms, treatment and research. This seven minute video on Anxiety Disorders from AnswersTVS provides an overview of Anxiety DIsorders.
To assess your symptoms and their level of seriousness you can download and complete these Depression and Anxiety screening tools. Please consult a licensed psychotherapist who can help you to evaluate the results and make choices regarding appropriate treatment.
You can contact me at 608-237-8000 extension 109 to discuss and review your symptoms and counseling options.
Depression and Anxiety are both highly treatable problems. Take back your life. I am a skilled, experienced counselor who can help you overcome anxiety and depression.
What services do you provide for someone dealing with depression and anxiety?
I am a Psychotherapist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Sex Therapist and Certified Sex Addiction Therapist. I have extensive training and over twenty years of experience providing psychotherapy to clients in the Madison Wisconsin area. You can learn more about me at About Shari Cohn.
I provide the following services for someone dealing with depression and anxiety:
- Evaluation of depression and anxiety symptoms
- Treatment planning
- Individual psychotherapy including treatments as indicated, such as cognitive – behavioral psychotherapy, insight oriented psychotherapy, trauma resolution therapy, sex therapy, sex addiction therapy, EMDR
- Grief counseling
- Couple counseling sessions as needed
- Family sessions as needed
- Community support sessions as needed
- Information and Referral to depression and anxiety treatment groups as needed
- Referral to psychiatrist for medication evaluation and management as needed
- Coordination of services with other treatment providers as needed
- Information and resources
- Referral and assistance with arrangement for more intensive treatment if necessary including inpatient hospitalization
- Referral as needed
Back to top
Where can I find out more about depression and anxiety?
To learn more, explore the Internet Links – Resources List that I have compiled to help you learn more about these issues.
Learn more about problems that I describe and treat that are often associated with depression and anxiety as underlying contributors and consequences, including:
- Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity
- Internet Porn Addiction – Cybersex Addiction
- Partners Spouses and Families of Sex Addicts
- Abuse, Assault, Trauma Survivors
- Sexual Difficulties of Abuse and Trauma Survivors
- PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Sexual Problems
- Individual and Couple – Marriage Problems
Visit Shari’s Blog for articles, news and selected informational videos on these subjects and related topics including:
- “Free Guided Meditation and Relaxation Recordings – Listen and Download”
- PTSD? “There’s An App For That”
- Winter Blues or Seasonal Affective Disorder?
- Don’t Let Depression Get You Down Or Keep You Down
How can I contact you to get further information?
Here is my Contact Information and Office Information.